Chair leg pads can make protecting your floors with a very simple process. Essentially, they are exactly what they sound like; pads that do beneath the bottom of the chair leg that provide a cushioning barrier between the floor and the chair leg that can damage it. This small addition to your furniture can make a huge impact in the lifetime of your floors, and keep them nice and clean for much longer than without these chair leg pads.
Chair Leg Pads
For the right kinds of chair leg pads, there are different thicknesses that one can acquire for their home. The three different thicknesses are as follows.
- Thin chair leg pads: These pads are for chairs that are not very heavy, mainly for normal dinner chairs or guest seating that is hardly used. The pads are thinner, and therefor are more difficult to spot from the eye of the viewer. Thin pads fit better underneath the chair legs, and will provide a more custom look. These chair leg pads will help protect your floors, but because of their thickness, they must be replaced and checked every year or so to make sure that they don’t wear down and diminish underneath the legs.
- Medium chair leg pads: Medium chair leg pads will obviously last much longer than the thin chair leg pads, because they are made up of more material. The chair leg pads will stand out much more than their thinner rivals, however, and this is why one would make the decision to purchase a pad that will not last as long over one that will almost never have to be replaced.
- Thick chair leg pads: The thickest chair leg pads are for those of you who want to place them and forget about it. They will undoubtedly last forever and you will not have to issue of them wearing down and becoming useless like you would have with the thinner chair leg pads. These pads are ideal for the heaviest of furniture, such as large couches or tables, and can even be placed beneath smaller chairs to add some height to them if you wish. For the heaviest of furniture, the thickest chair leg pads are ideal and what you will want to protect your floors.
Many manufacturers make and sell tips for chair leg pads, making them extremely cheap and easy to acquire. One may worry that the application of extra tips to the legs may deplete the overall aesthetic feel of your furniture, however, the tips are extremely form-fitting, and can be purchased or even made in any color of your choosing. Chair leg pads tips are made out of many different materials such as rubber, plastic, and metal.
- Metal chair leg pads tips are recommended for chairs which will be used outdoors. These are not recommended for indoor use as they will increase the chances of the chair legs scratching the floors. These are commonly found on chairs which are used in outdoor areas for gatherings, events, etc. They are very cheap, and can be purchased at most furniture supply stores or hardware stores in your area.
- Plastic chair leg pads tips are recommended for use only if you know the hardness level of your floors. Even though these are still very common, they are still not recommended for home use. The best places to use plastic tips is in classrooms, or even outdoor uses. They will wear down much quicker, though, so it is important to monitor the wear should you be using them in an outdoor application.
- Rubber chair leg pads tips are ideal for indoor use. Due to their extremely soft composition, they will never scratch, ding, or dent your floors, and will always allow for superior protection against any type of damage. Because of the rubber, though, there is a chance of scuff marks to be left on your floors. These marks can be easily removed if they are to show up, and will not cause any permanent damage to your floor surfaces.
By making the initial investment in chair leg pads for your furniture, you are simply guaranteeing that you will never have to pay 1000s of dollars someday on wooden floor maintenance. Even a tiny scuff can cost you a few hundred to repair, and those figures simply keep on going up as the wood floors get older. Chair leg pads are the greatest strategy to keep your household as well as flooring looking like new forever.